Geese Pest Control Milton Keynes, Bletchley & Newport Pagnell
Geese were initially introduced to the UK as an ornamental attraction to parks and gardens and have now become established as a common resident bird in both suburban and rural habitats. They live in ponds, lakes, marshals and coastal flats. They are mostly non-migratory, moving only short distances between breeding. Geese leave up to 3 pounds of droppings each, per day so the mess they create can be very unsightly to the areas they inhabit.
The Problems Geese Cause
- They are herbivores and eat large quantities of vegetation, stripping areas around lakes and ponds of grass and wetland plant species by overgrazing and trampling.
- The number of droppings they leave can look unsightly as well as being a slip hazard and a hygiene problem.
- Geese can carry Bacteria which can cause such things as Clamydiosis, E-Coli, Listeria, Pasteurella Multocida and Salmonella. They can spread these through faeces, nasal discharge or if someone is bitten. Humans tend to manifest infection by having Pneumonia or through a wound.
Geese Control Methods
- Shooting (where legal) - Shooting adult birds can be successful for significant reduction of populations.
- Scaring – Visual and acoustic scarers can affect rural areas.
- Habitat Adjustment – Removal of potential nesting areas may reduce the breeding population, alternatively making banks steeper or establishing dense vegetation on water margins may encourage geese to move on.
- Fencing - Putting fences around feeding areas or waters edges make an area less attractive to geese.
Prevention Of Future Geese Damage And Infestation
- Invest in a liquid bird repellent. This will prevent geese from nesting at your property all season long.
- Avoid trimming grasses around lakes and ponds to obstruct the view of birds.
- Install mesh or wire to prevent birds from accessing bodies of water.
- Let shoreline vegetation and plants to grow to inhibit bird's access to water.
If you require any more information or if you require a price quotation for Geese pest control or removal services in Milton Keynes, High Wycombe & Aylesbury or the surrounding areas, please contact us.